Oct 3, 2010

West Village Bicycles



A New Lens - A New Series
The Lens: For a while now I have been hoping to add the Canon 35mm f1.4 prime lens to my 5D package and while on a recent trip to New York & Philadelphia I picked one up from the awesome B&H superstore. For me, the field of view of a 35mm lens with a full-frame camera is ideal. It's perfect for isolating people or objects while still being wide enough to maintain the environments that surround them. This lens, when shot at f1.4, is very sharp at the plane of focus but has a beautiful focus fall-off giving really great out of focus backgrounds. This 35mm is still not as perfect as my favourite lens, the Summicron 35mm f2 for the Leica Rangefinder system, but it's the best lens I've used in the digital world.

The Series: What better way to test this new lens out than a walk through the West Village in Manhattan taking a Sartorialist inspired survey of all the vintage and retro fashion bicycles laced up to street posts along the way. So many great bikes, some forgotten while others are obviously still well loved.

No comments: